Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 26, 2026

 THE FAMILY ALTAR


August 26.


"I have been young and now am old; yet have I not seen the

righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread." Ps. 37:25.


What David here tells us of God's tender care for His children

in this world, especially in time of scarcity and want, Luther

confirms when he writes: "No man has ever seen or heard that

a Christian has died of hunger. Christians may be persecuted,

thrown into prison, numbers of them killed, but if they beforehand

have made the best and richest alms their own and believed the

Word, they all found food and nourishment. For this should

disturb no Christian if he cannot be equally as well off or be as

prosperous and have as much as the rich. For our Lord Christ

gives His people a piece of bread and fish, He does not place

before them ten courses, costly and different wines, as the rich do

who live in abundance. For what dost thou want more than that

thou canst drive away thy hunger and retain a healthy body ? Let

that suffice thee." Again Luther writes: "A Christian does not

grab after earthly things; he has invested his wealth in heaven,

in the bosom of God, and says: Dear Lord, I know Thou hast

still more, Thou hast more than Thou canst ever give away; in

Thee I shall want for nothing. For if it were needed, the very

heavens would have to rain gold; be Thou my treasure-chest, my

cellar and garret; in Thee I have all treasures. If I have Thee,

I have enough. Those are the true Christians. If we could only

believe, we should never suffer want. Our Lord God is an excellent

goldsmith; out of one gold coin He can make more than a hundred

thousand. It is not the question of ready cash; the man with

a thousand dollars cannot get as far with his unbelieving heart

as the man who trusts in God gets with one dollar."

In Thee, Lord, have I put my trust,

Leave me not helpless in the dust,

Let me not be confounded;

Let in Thy Word my faith, O Lord,

Be always firmly grounded.

Bow down Thy gracious ear to me,

And hear my prayers, Lord, speedily,

0 grant me Thy protection;

For woes and fear surround me here,

Help me in my affliction.

 THE FAMILY ALTAR August 26. " I have been young and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging brea ...