Blog Archive

Sunday, August 2, 2026

 THE LAMB

 


 

“While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell whether GOD will be gracious to me, that the child may live?But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.”  2 Samuel 12:22-23

 

         One of the oldest sermon illustrations regarding the death of children involves a couple who were so distraught over the death of a little girl they took a period abroad in order to process their grief. One day, walking through the fields, the two noticed a shepherd leading his flock. There was a brook there, but the sheep seemed too frightened to hop across it. Taking a lamb in his arms, the shepherd jumped over the stream and placed it about fifty yards on the other side.

            Presently it began bleating for its mother. The mother, hearing the call, raised her head and bolted toward the brook, leaping over it with no problem. The other sheep followed, and soon the entire flock was on the other side.

            "Now, I understand," said the wife, watching from a distance. "The Lord has taken my lamb that I myself may meet her on the other side"

Solus hristus – Part One – one of the Five Solas of the Reformed Faith -  Part One   5   Mortify therefore your members which are upon the e...