Who are we?

The center of the Traditional Anglican Communion; adhering to the Holy Bible (KJV) in all matters of Faith and Doctrine, a strict reliance on the Thirty Nine Articles of Religion, The two Sacraments of Baptism and Holy Communion, the Two Creeds, and the Homilies and formularies of the Reformation Church of England.

Verse of the Day

Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Hymns of the Church – Close to Thee – 6 June 2023 (D-Day), Anno Domini (In the Year of our Lord)

 

 

N

OW all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, 23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us(Matthew 1:22-23)

 

         This is another beautiful hymn (one of over 9,000 this dear lady, Fanny Crosby) that speaks of the nearness of our Lord at all times to those who believe. The men on the Road to Emmaus had no idea the Lord was right beside them as they journeyed in weary sorrow. Mrs. Crosby also makes note we who belong to the Kingdom of Heaven are pilgrims on this earthly journey. The music score is by Silas J. Vail.

 

Close to Thee

 

Thou my everlasting portion, 

more than friend or life to me, 

all along my pilgrim journey, 

Savior, let me walk with thee. 

Refrain: 

Close to thee, close to thee, 

close to thee, close to thee, 

all along my pilgrim journey, 

Savior, let me walk with thee. 

 

Not for ease or worldly pleasure, 

nor for fame my prayer shall be; 

gladly will I toil and suffer, 

only let me walk with thee. 

Refrain: 

 

Lead me through the vale of shadows, 

bear me o'er life's fitful sea; 

then the gate of life eternal 

may I enter, Lord, with thee. 

Refrain:

 

1 Thou my everlasting portion, more than friend or life to me, all along my pilgrim journey, Savior, let me walk with thee.Our Lord is much more than a friend – He is a “friend that sticketh closer than a brother.” He is One who died to save your soul from the fires of Hell before you ever even KNEW Him. The pilgrim travels lightly with minimal baggage for he seeks a home not of this world but, during this pilgrim voyage, He walks right beside whether the Road to Emmaus, Damascus, or the Road of Sorrows. His first name to be mentioned in Scripture assures us of His constant presence: “My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever”  (Psalm 73:26)

 

2 Not for ease or worldly pleasure, nor for fame my prayer shall be; gladly will I toil and suffer, only let me walk with theeWhen we walked in days bygone with our elder brother, how safe were we from the bullies of the playground. Jesus is truly our Elder Brother, Redeemer, Lord, and King. Walking with Him is the safest of all places to walk. The Upward Way is narrow and sometimes exhausting, but the Broad Way is full of potholes and descends to the gates of Hell. Whatever pangs and sufferings we experience in our Christian walk are far less hurtful than any walk without Him.

 

Lead me through the vale of shadows, bear me o'er life's fitful sea; then the gate of life eternal may I enter, Lord, with theeWhen Jesus commanded that we take up our crosses daily and follow Him, He did not mean part way, or half way, or half-heartedly – He meant ALL the way regardless the stones and brambles, or sorrow and pain that we might confront to His glory. We follow Him all the way to the cross so that we may follow Him to the borrowed tomb and to the resurrection. “Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, thou art with me.” He is with us, and we can know death is of no substance whatsoever – only a shadow.

 

Refrain

Close to thee, close to thee, close to thee, close to thee, all along my pilgrim journey, Savior, let me walk with theeCertainly our Lord will not disallow any of His chosen believers to walk with Him. He has traveled the same path under much more severe conditions. His, as a matter of fact, IS the Way. The closer we walk with Christ, the fewer hazards along the way.