Who are we?

The center of the Traditional Anglican Communion; adhering to the Holy Bible (KJV) in all matters of Faith and Doctrine, a strict reliance on the Thirty Nine Articles of Religion, The two Sacraments of Baptism and Holy Communion, the Two Creeds, and the Homilies and formularies of the Reformation Church of England.

Verse of the Day

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Devotion on Hymns of the Church (Hymn 449 - My Faith Looks up to Thee) – 11 March 2014, Anno Domini (In the Year of our Lord)



1 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. 2 My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth. 3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber. 4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. 5 The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand. 6 The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night. 7 The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul. 8 The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.” (Psalms 121:1-8)

This reverent and holy hymn was composed by Ray Palmer in 1830 to the inspiring tune of Olivet by Lowell Mason. Mr. Palmer wrote the lyrics as an expression of his own personal faith, but that should be the motivation of every hymn-writer, should it not? In his own words, “I gave form to what I felt by writing, with little effort, the stanzas. I recollect I wrote them with very tender emotion and ended the last line with tears.” This hymn is offered as an alternate hymn for Lent in the 1940 Hymnal.

My Faith Looks up to Thee

My faith looks up to thee,
thou Lamb of Calvary,
Savior divine!
Now hear me while I pray,
take all my guilt away;
O let me from this day
be wholly thine.

May thy rich grace impart
strength to my fainting heart,
my zeal inspire;
as thou hast died for me,
O may my love to thee
pure, warm and changeless be,
a living fire.

While life's dark maze I tread,
and griefs around me spread,
be thou my guide;
bid darkness turn to day;
wipe sorrow's tears away,
nor let me ever stray
from thee aside.

When ends life's transient dream,
when death's cold sullen stream
shall o'er me roll;
blest Savior, then in love
fear and distrust remove;
O bear me safe above,
a ransomed soul.

You will note that the salient petitions contained in each verse of this hymn which, in brief, are these:

1) Hear me;
2) Strengthen me;
3) Guide me;
4) Save me.


My faith looks up to thee,
thou Lamb of Calvary,
Savior divine!
Now hear me while I pray,
take all my guilt away;
O let me from this day
be wholly thine.

From whence comes our faith. True and Saving Faith is imparted to the sinner by God. It is for this reason that faith looks up to God its Giver. (I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills) Whatever love we have is only a muted echo of that LOVE which God has shed abroad in the hearts of His people. The DEEP love of God calls out to the depths of the hearts of His people, and is answered in kind. “Deep calleth unto deep….” (Psalms 42:7) The Lord Jesus Christ is our Lamb of Calvary; in fact, He is the Lamb without blemish who was sacrificed for us before the world was formed. Christ cannot share with Satan a part-ownership of our souls. It is ALL, or nothing with our Lord. We must be wholly surrendered to His benevolent Will, and be sold out to the allurements of the world.

May thy rich grace impart
strength to my fainting heart,
my zeal inspire;
as thou hast died for me,
O may my love to thee
pure, warm and changeless be,
a living fire.

Our Lord is changeless. He doesn’t deal with us in a manner that differs from the manner in which He dealt with Abraham – it is all of LOVE. It is by His grace that He imparts a redounding Faith to us. His GRACE is our strength. “1 I will love thee, O LORD, my strength. 2 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.” (Psalms 18:1-2) We are of nothing worth without Christ. How can we not love such a Savior who gave His last drop of blood for us? Our love must be fervent, changeless as warm as the fire that God has imparted by His love for us. “For our God is a consuming fire.” (Heb 12:29)

While life's dark maze I tread,
and griefs around me spread,
be thou my guide;
bid darkness turn to day;
wipe sorrow's tears away,
nor let me ever stray
from thee aside.

God is our Light and our Guide. Without His Light of Life, we stumble blindly in the dark as drunken men. So, too, do nations stumble as drunken men that have abandoned their Founding Benefactor in God. The bleakest night becomes the Golden Dawn with Christ as our Guide. Whose lead do you follow, Reader? Perhaps you follow some philandering TV evangelist, or some pompous political figure – “they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.” (Matt 15:14) When the shadows lengthen, and sorrows mount, turn to the ONLY One who can remove every tear and every shadow. “And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.” (Rev 21:4)

When ends life's transient dream,
when death's cold sullen stream
shall o'er me roll;
blest Savior, then in love
fear and distrust remove;
O bear me safe above,
a ransomed soul.

The floods of this mortal life ebb and flow and, yet, there comes the day of God’s own choosing when the candle of this mortal life shall be extinguished. At that moment, a brilliant Torch of Life shall be lit in Heaven if that soul belongs to the Lord of Life. When the waters of Jordan overwhelm us, there is One who walks upon the flood to grasp our desponding hand. He will not only lift us up above the churning waters of death, but far beyond the glowing sunrise of our days to that Land of Promise which He has covenanted to give all who claim the Faith of Abraham in Christ. All of the Elect in Christ have been purchased at a cost far greater than all of the far-flung stars and galaxies combined – the Blood of the only Begotten Son of God. Consider the great cost God the Father paid for your soul, and be ever grateful.