Who are we?

The center of the Traditional Anglican Communion; adhering to the Holy Bible (KJV) in all matters of Faith and Doctrine, a strict reliance on the Thirty Nine Articles of Religion, The two Sacraments of Baptism and Holy Communion, the Two Creeds, and the Homilies and formularies of the Reformation Church of England.

Verse of the Day

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Devotion for Sunday, 8 May 2011 Anno Domini

Devotion for Sunday, 8 May 2011 Anno Domini
“7But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. 8Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: 10That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. 12Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. 13Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.16 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.(Phil 3:7-16)
“7But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ.” Here, Paul states a principle of Christian living and outlook which he repeats often and which, if we are mindful thereof, will greatly increase our joy and testimony in Christ. Christ, too, asks: “For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?” (Mark 8:36 & Matt 16:26). I have yet to read a deathbed testimony of men who wished only that they had made better investments, or committed more adultery, or drank more whiskey, or had got elected to a higher office. To the contrary, when the cold, grey head of death draws near enough to look us in the eyes, our thoughts must turn to the eternal things such as, “what comes next?” The Christian is spared this horrible question for he already knows and anticipates the answer.
“Be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith.” If we are IN Christ, He covers us a mother hen covers her chicks under the shelter of her wings. Sheltered by Christ, our sins are covered and our own righteousness is not accounted to us but, instead, we are accounted righteous for His sake and by the imputation of His righteousness. This is the only Godly righteousness we can have – that is, HIS!
“That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.” Powerful verses, these. If we truly KNOW Him, we will also know the power of His resurrection – a power which will also raise us at the last Trump. Do we know Christ in the ‘fellowship of His sufferings’? Have we taken up our cross? Have we taken up that cross daily? (Luke 9:23). If not, how can we know the ‘fellowship of His sufferings’? We, too, must bear the marks in our own bodies of our sufferings in Christ. If we have not suffered for Christ’s sake, nor are experiencing a suffering today from the world’s viewpoint, what fellowship can we have with His sufferings? If we die daily, there must be some degree of suffering for our giving up ourselves and staking our claim in Christ. This is a joyful suffering.
“If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.” We must die to self, as Christ certainly did for us, if we are to attain unto the resurrection which we share in Him. He arose that we may arise. He bore the burden of our sins that we may be accounted righteous in that resurrection. We are IN Him and, therefore, we shall arise IN Him!
“Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.” Our course is not finished until we pass the Finish Line! Our testimony is a living one which extends the length of our lives, and then beyond in the Kingdom of God. We continue to follow Christ as we live. Failure to follow to the end brings our calling and election in Christ into question. If we are truly called and chosen, Christ will preserve us in all our ways even unto the end. But we must, too, be diligent to make that election sure. (2 Peter 1:10)
“Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.” What things which are behind? Our great sins, our failures, our mortal weakness, our doubts, our unbelieving, our offenses – those things! God has not remembered them, so why should we. If we look behind us as we plow the row, the row will be crooked and not straight. Where we were found in the depths of depravity is not as important now that we are made new in Christ. The great prize lies ahead, not behind! A casual walker wonders to and fro, but one who runs a race is focused on the goal ahead without distraction.
“Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.” If we would presently be perfect, we must claim the perfection of Christ as our perfection. Those areas in which we need further sanctification (and there be many in each of us), God will satisfy. He will stretch out our shortcomings to a full measure of perfection. “Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.” That counsel of God which has led us thus far needs depending upon to continue to lead in the same counsel. Let us be of the character to always show improvement in our walk and not slackers. If you walk straight ahead, with eyes and face forward, how can you go astray from the Lighted Path? “He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness.” (Psalms 23:3). We walk not alone!