Who are we?

The center of the Traditional Anglican Communion; adhering to the Holy Bible (KJV) in all matters of Faith and Doctrine, a strict reliance on the Thirty Nine Articles of Religion, The two Sacraments of Baptism and Holy Communion, the Two Creeds, and the Homilies and formularies of the Reformation Church of England.

Verse of the Day

Friday, April 29, 2011

Devotion for Saturday, 30 April 2011 Anno Domini

Devotion for Saturday, 30 April 2011 Anno Domini

15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. 16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. 17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep. 18 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdedst thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not. 19 This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me.
20 Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee? 21 Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do? 22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me. 23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? 24 This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true. 25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen. (John 21:15-25)

In order to fully grasp the meaning of the text today, we must consider the events that have preceded. Jesus informed His disciples on the night of the Last Supper that He will be offered up and that they will be greatly offended (troubled) by these events. Peter protests that he will not be offended even if ALL others (including the present disciples) be offended, but Jesus tells him: “Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. Peter said unto him, Though I should die with thee, yet will I not deny thee. Likewise also said all the disciples.” (Matt 26:34-35) Peter is not being deceptive here. He truly believes what he says. He doesn’t know his own heart as well as Christ knows it. Peter did, indeed, deny Christ three times before the cock crowed, and we read an account from Luke about the last denial. Peter was gathered with others around a fire at the court of Caiaphas when the third charge was made that Peter was a disciple of Christ: “And Peter said, Man, I know not what thou sayest. And immediately, while he yet spake, the cock crew. 61 And the Lord turned, and looked upon Peter. And Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how he had said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. 62 And Peter went out, and wept bitterly.” (Luke 22:60-62)

Please consider how bitter were the tears of Peter. Peter was not, by nature, a coward. While in the direct presence of Christ in the Garden, he was willing to resist with the sword the entire armed contingent sent to arrest his LORD. But now, he was separated from Christ’s presence, and his courage failed him. Of course, Satan was stalking Peter to devour him just as he stalks every child of God. “And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: 32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.” (Luke 22:31-32). Peter was not yet fully converted prior to the crucifixion, and our weakest moment comes when we are not fully converted.

“The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.” (Deut 29:29). Though there be obvious gems of mystery included in the text, the LORD gives us enough discernment to discover wonderful truths through diligent study of His Word – not a good man’s opinion of it, but His Word. When the women were at the Garden Tomb and discovered it empty, the Angel told them, “But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee.” (Mark 16:7). How marvelous that Christ would have Peter specifically told! It must have given great comfort to Peter on hearing those words after the anguish he had felt over his denial.

Now, Peter is sitting around another fire, but with Jesus this time. It was on this same shoreline of Galilee where Peter first followed Christ. (Matt 4:18). As they sit around the fire, Peter must have remembered standing around another fire at the court of Caiaphas at which place he had denied Christ the third time. The memory of that look Christ gave him on the third denial had tortured his conscience ever since. Peter had proudly boasted that he was the one who would never deny Christ even if all the others did. Now Christ asked: “Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these?” In other words, “do you love me more than these other disciples love me? They denied me not during the long night of trial. Do you love me more than these?” Peter no longer boasted of being more committed than the others. He simply responded, “Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee.” Indeed, Peter had come to realize that Christ DID know all that was in his heart! Jesus responded, “Feed my lambs.” (Feed my innocent ones who need to be led).
Christ asks Peter three times in all if he loved Him. The last time: “Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.” Peter had denied Christ thrice, and now Christ asks this revealing question thrice. Peter knew that Christ knew all things, hidden or unhidden. Christ then tells Peter in what he manner he shall die: “Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdedst thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not. 19 This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me.” Peter’s claim would be partly true – He would die with Christ in this life.

Christ tells Peter to follow Him at this time. Peter does so. As he turns to look back, he sees the disciple that Jesus loves (John) following. John’s heart is so full of love for the Shepherd that he must always follow whether invited or not! Peter also love John. They have labored together to catch the fish of the sea and the fish of the world. Peter may hae been concerned that his friend not die a cruel death as Peter himself would do. “Lord, and what shall this man do?” “If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.” And the Gospel of John ends with these two close disciples following Christ as they had done since the first encounter on the shores of Galilee. Are you still following the one who saved you by His Grace and Mercy?