Who are we?

The center of the Traditional Anglican Communion; adhering to the Holy Bible (KJV) in all matters of Faith and Doctrine, a strict reliance on the Thirty Nine Articles of Religion, The two Sacraments of Baptism and Holy Communion, the Two Creeds, and the Homilies and formularies of the Reformation Church of England.

Verse of the Day

Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Devotion on Lenten Hymns - Lord Jesus, Think on Me - 2 March 2021, Anno Domini



 

Just the thought…2 March 2021

Rev. Geordie - AOC England

 

The words of hymn from my childhood have been wandering through my mind.

 

Lord Jesus, think on me,

and purge away my sin;

from earth-born passions set me free,

and make me pure within.

 

It was a hymn often sung during the Lenten season as a child it seemed rather dirge- like.

 

But as I revisit this hymn two things strike me the import of the words and its history.


Let’s begin with its history poor old Synesius over time grudgingly accepted the post of Bishop

 

“He was born c. 365 at Cyrene, "a Greek city of ancient fame," but then already in decay, and superseded by Ptolemais as the capital of Pentapolis. He was of good family, inheriting an ample fortune, with considerable estates in the interior of the country. In his early years he served in the army and was passionately fond of field sports. Leaving the army, he commenced his studies at Alexandria, where Hypatia then lectured in philosophy. …”

 

He did his best to avoid the appointment as Bishop of Ptolemais which was certainly due to his humility but he would also have to set aside his wife!

 

“Synesius, in 410, wrote to the presbyters of the diocese of Ptolemais: "Since God has laid upon me not what I sought but what He willed, I pray that He Who has assigned me this life will guide me through the life He has assigned me."(B)

 

Now to the verses of the hymn which make an excellent Lenten prayer.

 

Lord Jesus, Think on Me

 

Lord Jesus, think on me,

and purge away my sin;

from earth-born passions set me free,

and make me pure within.

 

Lord Jesus, think on me,

with care and woe oppressed,

let me Thy loving servant be,

and taste Thy promised rest.

 

Lord Jesus, think on me,

nor let me go astray;

through darkness and perplexity

point Thou the heavenly way.

 

Lord Jesus, think on me,

that, when the flood is past,

I may eternal brightness see,

and share Thy joy at last.


Source: 
1940 Hymnal #417- https://hymnary.org/hymn/HPEC1940/page/490

 

For me as a former Roman Catholic verse one brings home the reality that I enter heaven only by the merits of Christ. Not by the masses I once would’ve had said, of the decades of the Rosary and the candles I would have lit.

 

It is Christ and Christ alone!

 

The second verse is most comforting as life in a fallen world can be difficult to say the least.

 

Lord Jesus, think on me,

with care and woe oppressed,

let me Thy loving servant be,

and taste Thy promised rest.

 

The third verse is a source of assurance and protection unto eternity.

 

I was training for the Catholic priesthood and would often be waylaid by ardent Protestants asking” Are you saved?” I felt at that time that to be certain of salvation is rather arrogant! But I have before me eternal rest Christ Jesus!

 

It is Christ and Christ alone!

 

The fourth verse reinforces the assurance I now possess.

 

Lord Jesus, think on me,

that, when the flood is past,

I may eternal brightness see,

and share Thy joy at last.

 

I will the eternal brightness see and share the joy at last! 

 

By Christ and Christ alone!

 

I hope you will find this hymn by the reluctant Bishop an encouragement and springboard to prayer.

 

Every blessing to you and yours.

 

Rev. Geordie - AOC England